Charlton Park is located two miles north east of Malmesbury in Wiltshire.
Charlton Park has been a possession of the Earls of Suffolk since the last years of the 16th Century.
The land on which Charlton Park Mansion House is built belonged originally to the rich and powerful Abbey of Malmesbury.
At the Dissolution in 1539 the fabric of the Abbey and much of its property was bought by a prosperous clothier of the town named Stumpe, and by the end of the century that part of his estate which included Charlton had passed to a great-granddaughter, Catherine, daughter of Sir Henry Knyvet (whose tomb is in Charlton Church).
She married as her second husband (and his second wife) Lord Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk, and the House was built for her on the property which she bought her husband. It was ready for occupation by 1607.
After her death it was inherited by her second son Thomas, created in 1626 Earl of Berkshire, whose descendants lived here until the union of the two branches of the family in the middle of the 18th Century.
The Estate is the home of The Earl and Countess of Suffolk and Berkshire and extends to 4500 acres. 3400 acres are farmed in hand with the further 525 acres under the management of three tenants and in addition there is 300 acres of woodland.
A tributary of the River Avon flows through the Estate providing excellent trout fishing. The mix of woodland and undulating ground lends itself well to both game shooting and clay pigeon shooting.
There are a number of Cotswold stone residential properties in Charlton village and Brokenborough which from time to time become available to rent. In addition, the Charlton Business Park developed in 2003 provides six high quality office units.
The Estate provides an excellent venue for filming and is able to cater for a range of events in the parkland surrounding Charlton Park House.
The Estate can even supply you with a Christmas tree!
Access is convenient by road, by train to Kemble station or by light aircraft using the Estate’s private airstrip.